There may not be a lot of time in your college years to watch movies. However, as you are forced to study history, science, and sociology, the movies on this list might be of use. In fact, you might discover that some of your professors recommend these movies as ways to help you understand the topics you are discussing in class. These are indeed the top educational movies for college students.
And, you might be able to find some of them on the Canadian Netflix list. Just follow the link attached and search for the movies you are hoping to see. If you have a Netflix subscription, and the movie is available, that will save you time and money if you choose to watch it. In truth, we have known some professors who assigned the movies on this list and included questions from the movies on their mid-terms and final exams.
30 Beneficial Movies to Watch While in College
Get some popcorn, invite the roomies, and settle in for a night of movie watching. You can call it research if it makes you feel less guilty about sitting in front of the TV. Seriously, these are 30 beneficial moves to watch in college. They will help you understand history, literature, science, and a host of other disciplines. So, check them out:
- Schindler’s List– A businessman makes a heroic effort to save Jews in the midst of WWII.
- The Duellists– Can fencing induce honor and justice?
- The Grapes of Wrath
- The Color Purple– Alice Walker’s famous book about the struggle of an African American woman in the early 1900s. Learn more.
- Hotel Rwanda
- Cast Way
- Super Size Me- Try living on MacDonald’s for 30 days. It is not the diet of champions, we can assure you.
- Be the Change
- Fahrenheit 451– If this doesn’t open your eyes to the direction this world is going, you better get a Bible. Read this.
- Dead Poets Society
- Freedom Writers
- The Phantom of the Opera– Disabilities and love proliferate the story behind this passionate tale.
- Microcosms– Check out insects in their natural habitats with this close-up French film.
- Manhattan Project
- WarGames– Hackers could be the end of the world. At least, that is the basis behind this movie that invites a hacker to play a video game which is actually the initiation of WWIII.
- Into the Wild
- Touching the Void
- Erin Brockovich- Pollution in the water spurs this woman to action. And, the best part is, it’s a true story. Watch.
- The Future of Food
- Shooting Vegetarians
- Master Harold and the Boys– Set during the era of apartheid, this film depicts a semi-autobiographical tale about a black man and his relationship with a teenage boy.
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Almost Famous– A high school student writes a piece for Rolling Stone Magazine about a rising rock band he’s a big fan of.
- Project X
We didn’t describe every movie here, just the ones we are particularly fond of. However, with a little research, you will be able to pick out the ones that will be most beneficial to your college career.