If there is one job in this world that is often considered to be rewarding even if the payment is not that good, it is being a teacher. Being a teacher can be exciting because it is different when you have to keep track of the personalities of your different students. It may even be harder if you are a professor because you are dealing with students who are nearly professionals. You need to earn their respect so you can be treated well.
Perhaps you have checked other teachers before and you have compared your teaching style to the way that they teach their students. Sometimes, you may even compare yourself to other people who teach but they are not professional teachers. For example, Sarah teaches women how to get bigger boobs. Women who are interested in what she has to say will always visit her site and will always check her updates. This means that they find her teachings interesting and effective. As a teacher, this should be your main goal too. You should catch the interest of your students so they will listen to what you have to say. When they are able to apply what you have taught them in the real world, you already know that you are an effective professor. Here a few more things you can ponder on:
- It would not hurt to set a good example to your students. If students would normally catch you drifting off whenever you teach class, they will not listen to you when you are discussing your new lesson. Your students will mimic the way that you act towards them too so if you are rude to them, you can expect that they will be rude to you too.
- Set rules inside your class. Giving your students too much freedom may not let them have much respect for you. Be clear about the rules and regulations that they have to follow. Let them know what the consequences of their actions are. This way, they will know how to act.
- Remember that you were once a student too and you have always wished that your teachers and your professors were more compassionate. Being compassionate does not mean that you are going to be lax about deadlines and the projects you are going to give out. Rather, it is about showing them that you are treating them as people and you also value their opinions.
- It can help if you would let your whole class have a creative vibe. When the class feels creative, it is very likely that your class will be enthusiastic about the different things that they can do. It will also help them come up with more ideas that they can share in class about the topics that you are discussing with them.
- Listen to your students if in case they have problems. There are some students who look up to you because they like your achievements. They would like to reach the same level of achievement that you have someday. Do not let them down if they need a helping hand.
It is always your choice to be a good teacher. Do you believe that you can the professor you have wanted back in college?