One of the things that you will find hard to fight when you are already in college is homesickness. There is a big possibility that you will miss your own room and your own bed. It can be even harder if you are not particularly close with your roommate yet.
You have to realize that your dorm room can make a lot of difference with how you will view your college life. If you are uncomfortable the whole time, the whole college experience might not be too pleasant for you.
The first thing that you have to do is to make sure that your dorm room is safe. This means that you should check that your dorm room does not have pests. Some common pests that you will find inside your dorm room are ants and sometimes cockroaches. Getting rid of their food source will help get rid of them too. You also need to make sure that you have your own humidifier installed in your room. This is something that will not only benefit you but will benefit your roommate too. If the room is too cold, you know that the humidifier will at least stop you from having some flu like ailments. At the same time, you are getting rid of possible allergens that will make your dorm room even more uncomfortable than it already is. To pick the right humidifier, check this shopper’s guide.
Here are other things that you can do so that your dorm room can become even more comfortable:
- Make sure that you will have photos of the people that you love – Being in college means exposing yourself to a whole new crowd. You will be meeting new people but when you are inside your dorm room, you would like to make sure that you will see some familiar faces that will help you stay strong.
- Have some books that you have always read at home. If you have always loved reading, bringing your favourite books will sometimes help you forget that you are in an entirely different place. At the same time, this will slowly let you realize that your dorm room can be your home too.
- Making your bed more comfortable will improve the quality of your sleep. In order to stay healthy even when you are away from home, you need to make sure that your bed is comfortable enough. Have your beddings with you. You can even place some of your pillows because it will remind you of home and make you feel less homesick.
- Get a rug. There is a possibility that you feel uncomfortable because of the weird stain that is found on the carpet. Having a rug that can then cover the stain and make you feel better because you will not feel that what you are stepping on is filthy.
- Make sure that you have a hamper where you are going to place all of your clothes. This will lessen the clutter in your room and will make you feel comfortable.
Can you still think of other tips that will help lessen your homesickness when you are away from your own house?