With the increasing advancement of technology, engineering and science has now become the favorite field of study among the college students. With numerous branches of engineering being discovered every now and then, like chemical, mechanical, civil, etc. electrical engineering has become quite popular among the students and more people are now pursuing this degree for better job opportunities.
Electrical engineering is a challenging but an exciting field to study. Electrical engineers play a crucial role in making the technology better and finding ways to improve the technology that already exists.
Why you should study electrical engineering?
A proper degree in electrical engineering is your ticket to a creative and exciting profession. Not only are they paid high salaries, but are exposed to a diversity of opportunities. The following are the top reasons why you should think about pursuing electrical engineering as your profession:
- Easy to find your first job – most of the employers in electrical field, take Rapid Electric for example, always look for fresh mind with fresh knowledge, making it easier for the students to find their first job
- Handsome paycheck – studies have shown that electrical engineers enjoy high average annual salaries compared to other professions.
- Wide range of knowledge – electrical engineering offers its students with a wide variety of knowledge that is amazingly broad and versatile. It helps the students to learn a wide range of skills in various fields, like computer, robotics, communication system, integrated circuits and lots more.
- Do-It-Yourself – this is one of the most exciting reasons for studying electrical engineering because you know how thinks works and what malfunctions. So you can let your inventive mind go wild and make your own creations
- Be your own repairer- with the extensive knowledge of electricity and circuits, you not only can fix a burned out light bulb, but can also solve more complex problems, with your computer for example. This will save you heaps of money.
Tips for becoming an engineering student
Studying electrical engineering is not a child’s play. It requires a lot of dedication and effort, and of course, spending a great deal of time with libraries and laboratories. If you want your engineering profession to thrive, then you should keep the following in mind:
- Take good notes in class and develop a relationship with your professor
- Study in a group so that others can help you with your problems Diversify your engineering classes which will lend insight to your field
- Take classes outside engineering, like designing, business or writing classes, to hone your skills
- Build your portfolio by participating I numerous projects outside the classroom
- Try to do internships during summer as they will strengthen your resume
- Broaden your networking with professionals who can give you guidance and advice regarding your field
- Be a perfectionist and adopt the mindset of practicing something until it is perfect
Electrical engineering can be a difficult subject to study. Small failures will come your way, but you should never lose hope and persevere with what you are doing. Graduating with a decent electrical engineering degree, you can have careers in varieties of industries, like chemical, aerospace, automotive, marine, pharmaceuticals, telecoms and whole lots more. If you can manage to develop high self-confidence and a strong character, then the world is your oyster.